There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all bathroom solution, but there are certain elements that can help to deliver the bathroom of your dreams.
A bathroom is a place for reflection and relaxation, to unwind at the end of a busy day and to beautify us for the day ahead. To face the demands of modern living, bathrooms need to be customised to meet individual client needs.
More so now than ever, clients’ want the day spa experience created in their own home, but creating the ideal bathroom isn’t as straightforward as replicating an inspirational luxury hotel bathroom.
So how do you create a bathroom that meets your needs and is big on style?
The three most common aspects of creating a contemporary bathroom that I address with clients when discussing bathroom renovations are;
Before embarking on your bathroom renovation, I recommend you read the tips below as well as how to deliver a timely and cost effective bathroom renovation here.
Simplify your Bathroom Renovation
This is the checklist I use for my clients with recommendations for everything
you need to include in your new Bathroom.
How do you design a bathroom?
Whether you are undertaking a DIY bathroom project or looking to find a bathroom renovator in your area, it helps if you have a basic knowledge of the process for a bathroom renovation.
7 tips for designing a bathroom
1. Cost – understand what if costs to deliver a bathroom to meet your expectations. Are you after a luxury high-end retreat or a budget makeover to freshen your space? You will need to consider the size of the room, the quality of the fit-out and the labour cost for the numerous trades required to complete a bathroom renovation. On top of this are the costs associated with the fixtures and finishes required to deliver a modern bathroom. Off the shelf bathroom vanities are a more cost effective option than custom bathroom cabinets however you may need to settle for standard sizing in limited colours versus a one-off item that exactly fits your bathroom layout in the custom colour you desire.
2. Standard dimensions – Stickling to standard sized items can save you money and time. A custom item will generally have a longer lead-time and a higher price tag. If you are looking for a specifically designed item to meet your personal lifestyle needs, a custom item may be exactly what you need.
3. Space Planning – Good bathroom designs require a well thought out bathroom layout taking into consideration the size of the bathroom, the number of people using space and the inclusions required. Do you have the space for the walk in shower you dream of and should you consider an in-wall cistern to save valuable floor space?
4. Lifestyle – Your new bathroom renovation needs to suit your lifestyle and family dynamics. Consider your family size, the time of day it will be used most and whether you would like to create a relaxation space for you to escape to.
5. Types of fixtures – With so many options available it can be hard to be across the pros and cons of them all. This is one area that good advice is essential after all this an area where you can easily spend big. Do you have the space and budget for a freestanding bath? How much more is the coloured tap ware going to cost you? What type of toilet is best for your space?
6. Colour – Bringing your design together to create a beautiful bathroom involves taking time to explore the different bathroom ideas both online and in magazines. While the colour of tiles and paint have a big impact on your bathroom scheme, you can choose from different finishes for nearly all aspects of your bathroom including vanity, basin, toilet, bath and tap ware. Chrome is now only one of the finishes featuring in modern bathrooms. Keep the ideas you love in a folder or create a mood board on Pinterest or Houzz to build up a mood for your ideal bathroom.
7. Finishes – Luxury or budget bathroom renovation, there is a finish to suit everyone’s taste and budget including but not limited to tiles, glass, engineered stone, solid surface, timber and a myriad of natural marble and stone. I do recommend that whatever selections you decide on for your bathroom renovation, ensure they are consistent with the interior scheme for the rest of your home. A cohesive interior adds appeal and delivers continuity as you move throughout the home.
What is a wet room?
A wet room bathroom is a bathroom where the shower is not enclosed with a shower screen and there is no shower tray. The water from the shower drains away via the open, tiled floor area of the room, and the water drains down the main drain in the bathroom.
Planning a wet room – Pros and Cons
Once upon a time a shower was typically a 900x900mm cubicle with a white shower tray floor. With the average size of a bathroom being relatively tight, a shower cubicle can limit space in a small room. Many typical Australian homes still have one, and replacing them is high on the wish list of home renovation goals.
Here are some of the many reasons for the rise in popularity of a wet room;
The downside of a wet room;
Planning a wet room – FAQ’s
When it comes to installing a wet room or walk in shower, these are six questions I get asked most.
1. How much fall do you need in a wet room?
A wet room is essentially a waterproof room with no traditional shower tray. The bathroom floor will have a gradient to ensure all water runs to the drain. To ensure your bathroom renovation complies with the Australian Building Code licensed plumbers and builders should be hired to do the job correctly. This applies to bathroom renovations Brisbane Northside and Southside.
2. What is a walk in shower?
A walk in shower, or a wet room, is a shower completely free of doors. A walk in shower can create an open and spacious feel to any bathroom renovation.
3. What is tanking a wall for a shower?
Tanking or waterproofing is the sealing of walls and floors with a waterproof membrane to prevent water leaking out and causing damage.
4. What tiles are best for shower floor?
Whatever tiles you choose, ensure they won’t become slippery when wet. Check the slip resistance rating with your supplier prior to purchasing. Also be aware that some tiles are very porous and require regular maintenance and resealing.
Builders and tiles often recommend 300x300m tiles, as they are easy to lay and require less cutting to suit floor slopes. My advice is if you can afford it, go with the one you want and don’t be swayed by what’s easiest for them.
5. What type of tile is best for shower walls?
You can afford to mix it up a bit with your bathroom wall tiles. Bathroom vanities can impact on the bathroom tile colour and style you choose. You may choose to match your wall tile to your floor tile or have one feature wall. There is so many bathroom tile choices available that making the final selection for your bathroom renovation can be challenging. Think colour, texture and pattern!
6. What is the best material to use for shower walls?
While tiles are still the most popular choice, there are a number of other options available to choose from. I've included a few links below so you can check out how these products might work for you.
What should I do with a small bathroom?
Renovating a small bathroom can be challenging. You want to create a modern bathroom but don’t want it to feel cramped. Planning is essential when it comes to renovating a small bathroom. Fortunately there are some simple renovation tips that help create the illusion of space. From bathroom layout and bathroom designs to selecting bathroom vanities and what colours make a bathroom look bigger, an abundance of small bathroom ideas exist.
Top tips for maximising space in small bathroom designs
What is the best colour to paint a small bathroom?
While many contemporary bathrooms in Australia are opting for floor to ceiling tiles, there are many instances where paint is a feature.
Top tips for decorating a small bathroom with paint
Bathroom renovation ideas
Need a few bathroom renovation ideas to get you started?
There is no hard and fast rule to creating a functional and beautiful new bathroom. We work with our clients to create a bathroom that meets the demands of their lifestyle and sense of style.
Ready to get your bathroom renovation started?
Schedule a FREE 30 minute Consultation so I can personally discuss the next steps in your bathroom renovation and help to create the bathroom of your dreams.
Award-winning Interior Designer at Bella Vie Interiors.